updates today are to show you a little more model construction…
i have made a foetus skull to match the scale of the foetus model i built last week. while i was researching foetal skeletons [which is not the easiest thing to do], i realised that their skulls don’t have any teeth. it’s obviously really, but i’d simply never thought about it before.
the model has slight articulation of the jaw, and the inside the skull has detailing of the nasal cavity. it is made from sculpey, by building a section, baking it, adding more, baking it, etc – until i got to this stage. it’s not the most streamlined process, but i find sculpey to be too soft to build and entire model out of, in one sitting. for future sculpey projects i will probably build over an armature.
ultimately it’s unlikely that i’ll even use this piece because the brainchild should not a fleshless skeleton. however, it is helping me get the scale correct, and it is really quite a nice lil’ maquette!
i have also begun work on a full-size skull. i used a latex skull mask i’d made a few years ago as the basis for the model, building up a rough out of mod roc [which is a plaster coated material]. it is a little on the large side and the socket ridges are far too pronounced, but i will rectify that as spend more time on it.
the new plaster build is on the left, my latex mask is to the right.